Biography Max is a 21 year old drummer/multi-instrumentalist, composer, producer, and sound designer from the mountains of Colorado. He has been playing drums for over 12 years in addition to composing music for documentaries and short films such as the History of Naropa Anniversary video and in 2016, the Jamestown Flood Documentary. He is also an avid producer and has brought multiple full-length albums to fruition playing the majority of the instruments.
His performance experience spans a range of many shows and venues including The Fox Theatre in Boulder, Timpanist for the Boulder Symphony Orchestra, and several venues on the campus of Berklee College of Music where he studied Drum Set, Film Scoring, and Contemporary Writing and Production
Currently, Max is working remotely with two successful film composers: Nick Dolan, an award-winning composer in Portland, Oregon with whom he will be working a full-length feature film in the Summer of 2016, and Penka Kouneva who has worked with clients including Sony/Columbia, DreamWorks/Paramount and Warner Bros.
Besides playing drums as a gun for hire in various bands and writing music, Max spends his time teaching, running an online production studio, and practicing his instruments. He also enjoys coffee, weightlifting, drawing, and spending time with his three dogs and family.
· Attended Berklee College of Music for Film Scoring, Video Game Scoring and Drum Set
· Dean's List every semester at Berklee College of Music for excellent academic performance
· Will be composing music for a full-length feature film with award-winning film composer Nick Dolan in the Summer of 2016
· Provides remote drum tracking services to clients of all genres via the internet
· Engineered, produced, mixed, mastered and played drums, bass, guitar, keys, and programmed midi and designed sounds for a full-length pop album
· Currently producing a 12 song album for pop artist Tilda Marie - performing all instruments except vocals
· Drum/Music Theory/Composition/Production tutor at Robb's Music in Boulder, Brightwood Music in Nederland and online
· Produced a 2-hour clinic at the Boulder Library on production techniques and self-promotion as a musician
· Currently interning remotely with composer/orchestrator Penka Kouneva (Prince of Persia, Transformers)
· Will be composing music for the Jamestown flood documentary in 2016
· Has amassed over 12 years of private drum and percussion lessons in all styles
· Proficient in Pro Tools, Kontakt, Massive, Reason, FM8, Sibelius, Logic, Finale, Adobe Premiere/Photoshop and more
· 12+ years playing drums / percussion live with various bands throughout Boulder, Denver and Boston, ongoing
· Has played drums independently since age 4, and in school every year since the 5th grade to present.
· Able to play any style, including Rock, Jazz, R&B, Latin, Bluegrass, Metal, Hot Club, Classical, Theatrical, Pop, Progressive Rock, Ska, Punk, etc.
· Serious about education and self-improvement; determined with great attention to detail.
Berklee College of Music September 2014- August 2015
Dean's List at Berklee College of Music
Front Range Community College August 2013- May 2014
Boulder High School (Boulder, CO) l Diploma 2013
GPA: 3.81 unweighted ACT Score: 29 AP Music Theory Grade: A
Honor Roll throughout High School
Self taught in many other musical aspects
HISTORY OF NAROPA DOCUMENTARY
Commissioned to write music for this documentary video commemorating the school’s 25th anniversary
ALL-STATE SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA 2013
Selected by audition as Timpanist in the Colorado All-State Symphony Orchestra
BOULDER SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA 2014
Selected by audition as Timpanist in the Boulder Symphony Orchestra
GUITAR CENTER DRUM-OFF COMPETITION 2013
Round one winner
BAND AND PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE
INTIMIDATING MAGE 2016
Took the place of Dirk Verbeuren (Megadeth) in the drum tracking of this full-length Metal album to be released in 2017
COLD RIVER CITY 2016
Filling in for several shows and a month-long tour for this well-established funk band
VOXY MUSIC 2012-2013
Percussion for a capella trio of women performing contemporary vocal pieces in the blues/folk rock genre
AS THE CROW FLIES 2011-2012
Founding member of this progressive rock band comprised of high school students. Successfully designed class for high school credit, performed at numerous community venues, and created a demo EP in studio.
Performances and recordings with this guitarist at Berklee College of Music, went on to become lead guitarist of pop band Fifth Harmony
EAT THE SUN (www.eatthesunband.bandcamp.com) 2012-2013
Auditioned for and inducted into this local math metal and progressive rock band with shows across Boulder and Denver
Hand picked by owner of Boulder Drum Shop to perform at the Outlook Hotel to perform with other drummers in front of a live audience. Other musicians involved included Mark Diamond (bass) and Kim Stone, who came to residence for a private recording session afterwards.
DRUM LINE (Boulder High School) 2010-2012
Acted as co-captain for high school drum line which performed for a variety of venues, including local parades and football, basketball, and volleyball games.
CLUB HOT CLUB (Boulder High School) 2011-2012
Played the cajon for this Hot Club band, busking on the Boulder pedestrian mall.
Recruited as the youngest member of this local bluegrass band. Played numerous venues over the course of two years.
Auditioned and inducted to replace own drum teacher in this local rock band.
BAND IN A HAT 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
Participated various years in this local community fundraiser event. Multi-age band members are chosen by lottery and have 6 weeks to prepare performance for audience.
THE MEASLES (http://www.facebook.com/themeasles) 2009-2010
Recruited to play for this half-adult/half-teen classic punk band. Performed at a variety of local venues.
THE FULL FREQUENCY MODULATORS 2013-2016
Played many shows across Jamestown, Boulder, and Longmont, CO with this rock band
LEO & THE LION CUBS 2015
Performed at the Oliver Colvin Recital Hall at Berklee with this Theatrical-Pop band
Performances as drummer in this Progressive Rock two-piece band
LYNDSEY JONES 2015
Performed at the Oliver Colvin Recital Hall at Berklee with this singer and fellow musicians
BLACK MOUNTAIN BREAKDOWN 2015-2016
Performed with this band at the annual Jamestown marathon
BETTER LIES 2015-2016
Currently acting as producer, drummer, bassist, and more for this Alt-Pop/Electronic band in Boulder
THE CLARKS/THE KEENAS 2016
Performances across Colorado with this band playing cajon and/or drum set
PRIVATE MUSIC INSTRUCTION
PRIVATE DRUM LESSONS 2008-2014
Received private instruction in a variety of styles under this nationally known drummer for 5+ years. Christian Teele is known most for his work on eTown and has appeared on Anderson Cooper 360, Oprah, 20/20 and Desperate Housewives, etc.
Received private instruction for Marimba, Percussion, and Timpani under this professional percussionist/drummer who plays an average of 150 shows yearly
Private instruction from various Berklee faculty members for drum set, film scoring, composition, harmony etc.
Additional 18 months of drum lessons from Chris Lee and Steve Saviano
WEIGHT TRAINING, FITNESS, HEALTH AND WELLNESS
THERE WITH CARE (therewithcare.org) 2011-2013
Performed computer setup and tear down at annual signature fundraising events for this non-profit organization that provides fundamental support services to families and children facing critical illness during medical crisis.
NEDERLAND ELEMENTARY AND NEDERLAND MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL
Presented a self produced video on genres for over 100 students, worked with choice students on music for band/orchestra